How to Lose Back Fat
Losing back fat can be a challenge but with the proper diet and exercise losing that stubborn back fat is doable. The biggest focus needs to be on building a healthy diet and healthy habits. Overall body fat body fat is done by getting your body into proper energy balance. This can be done with a combination of diet and exercise together. For my clients with a goal of getting rid of back fat fast is to start moving more and eating less. This needs to be done in a simple gradual way. Focusing on a slow and steady approach is the best way because it allows you to stay on track without falling off your fitness goals. Losing fat is not a fast process it takes time and it’s important to manage expectations. When starting an exercise program it’s important to start slow with a focus on correct form to avoid burnout or injury.
Here’s some of our advice on how to lose stubborn back fat.
Exercise for back fat at home
There’s a problem with using exercise to target areas for fat loss and that is because spot reduction doesn’t generally work. This is because the body is very good at storing fat and for you that might cause the fat to end up on your back. Exercises for flabby back need to focus on calorie burn and boosting metabolism. This can be done with progressive strength training and high intensity interval training.
High intensity interval training can be helpful because it may boost your metabolism for up to 24 hours after the workout. This type of workout can keep you in energy balance for up to a day after doing the workout. In a 2018 meta analysis researchers found that doing HIIT workouts may reduce body fat on individuals. This includes back fat and fat on the mid section.
Progressive strength training has a different slightly different effect on the body. Strength training can increase muscle mass which can help calorie burn go up at rest. Your resting metabolism is called your resting metabolic rate. This extra burn can be improved by lifting weights on a regular basis. Make sure that you’re tracking your progress so that you don’t hit a plateau.
Targeting the Specific Area
While you’re losing those extra pounds it’s a good idea to focus on the area that you want to look better in the gym. Doing exercises like deadlifts, RDL, lat pull downs, rows and back extensions are a good idea to get that shape you want after you drop the back fat. When you do this your back muscles will show and you will be very happy with the results.
If you’re new to working out it’s a good idea to hire someone or work with a friend that knows how to do these movements properly. YouTube has plenty of videos that can be helpful for the exercises that I listed above. Keep in mind that you won’t see much results unless you put in the work in the kitchen. Once you hit a lower body fat you will see those back muscles pop.
Cutting on Those Extra Pounds
Losing extra pounds can be hard but if you have a plan you can do it. With many of my clients I recommend that they start with focusing on a clean diet for the first month. This means that you’ll need to get at least 80% of your food from clean whole food sources and the other 20% can be more flexible. The reason why I do this is that maintaining a perfectly clean diet is not reasonable for most people. Once people achieve a mostly clean diet I move them on to measuring their calories. This can be done using a simple food scale and an app like my fitness pal. This will ensure that you’re in proper energy balance and that is the best way to attack that difficult back fat.
Stick to your goals
When you have set a goal to lose back fat it’s important to stick to your goals and if you do you will reach them. When you have a bad day of eating or skip a workout which you will don’t give up. Remember that your goal of losing back fat is a process that will take some time. If you stick to your goal you will see results over time. A good way to keep track of your commitment to your goals is to get a calendar and put green stickers on a good day, yellow sticker on a ok day and a red sticker when you did nothing to reach your goal. When you do this you will have a visual of what you’ve done over one months time.
Make a goal and slowly make progress for reaching that goal.
Eat Clean and Focus on Macros
One of the biggest reasons people fail on the goal of losing back fat is that they eat highly processed foods and don’t balance our their macros properly. For weight loss I like to use the zone diet macros which is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. This marco balance is good because it allows for muscle growth and will keep you feeling full while trying to stick to your diet. If you fall off track remember your goals and keep working to lose that stubborn back fat.
Check out our blog on 7-ways-to-break-through-weight-loss-plateaus